Brother DCP-7065dn printer with Fedora 19

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Jul 25 01:11:09 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 08:52:05PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I carelessly bought a printer/scanner that has a proprietary driver.
> It worked fine in Fedora 18 and earlier.
> It doesn't seem to work with Fedora 19.
> Not much to be done with a proprietary driver, but I'd be happy with any
> reasonable solution.
>
> The printer is a network printer.  I have a CentOS 5 box that can print on
> it.  I thought that my CentOS 5 box could act as a print server for my
> Fedora 19 box.
>
> I arranged that, using the respective GUI tools.
>
> It doesn't seem to work.  So I think that my F19 box still needs the
> proprietary driver.  I get one line of postscript printed on the page.
>
> Is there some way that I can get the F19 box to treat the CentOS
> machine's published printer as something generic, like a PostScript
> printer?
>
> Here's where Brother describes Linux support:
> <http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/index.html>
>
> I don't seem to have SELinux issues.

Have you actually downloaded and installed (and configured, as needed)
the drivers Brother provides? you don't actually say...

We have a different model (MFC-8480DN) Brother all-in-one at work, and
using Brother's drivers I've got both the printer and scanner operating,
though I have to admit I haven't tried it on Centos 6.

Fred
                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."