Brother DCP-7065dn printer with Fedora 19

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Jul 25 04:40:31 UTC 2013

| From: D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com>

| | From: Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
|
| | Have you actually downloaded and installed (and configured, as needed)
| | the drivers Brother provides? you don't actually say...
|
| I think so.

I guess not.

I have now performed step 5b from
  <http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/instruction_prn1a.html>
and it now works!  Thanks for the prompting.

Note: the current web interface to CUPS doesn't exactly conform to 5b, but
with a little bit of guess-work, it worked.

I used HTTPS, not HTTP, to talk to CUPS.  Some things need to be secure.

When prompted for authorization, I used my username and password (hey, I'm
a member of the wheel group).  That didn't work.  I had to actually delete
a browser cookie to be able to try another username.  root was powerful
enough.  There ought to be a log-out button, but I didn't find one.

Although configurations are supposed to carry over when you upgrade using
fedup, this part didn't seem to.  Of course I might have damaged things
thrashing around.

I still don't know how to print from F18 using the printer driver on my
CentOS 5 box.  It looks as if the failed attempts were using IPP (Internet
Printing Protocol).  I don't care enough right now to keep experimenting.
But it would be handy so that I could print from machines that didn't have
the Brother proprietary drivers installed.

Thanks to all who helped.  It sure is nice to have my printer back.