Howto make Firewalld allow remote SSH into a Virtual Machine?

Darryl L. Pierce mcpierce at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 12:50:46 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:44:56PM +0200, Patrick Lists wrote:
> On 07/24/2013 11:25 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> >On 07/24/13 22:38, Patrick Lists wrote:
> >>With the Firewalld service stopped I can ping and ssh fine into the VM from my laptop.
> >
> >FWIW, it has been a long time but I always had FW trouble when dealing with a NAT configuration.
> >
> >I don't know virt-manager, but if possible I'd switch to a bridged network configuration so the VM has a 10.X.X.X IP.
>
> Yup agree. I am already investigating how I can best change the
> default libvirt setup to a bridged one. Live is too short to have to
> mess with NAT and the latest shiny firewall thingy ;-) Still, it
> would be nice to understand how to make ssh work with firewalld so
> if anyone has a suggestion...

The easiest way is to go into Virtual Machine Manager on the host os,
edit the Default network interface and have it bridged on one of your
physical network devices. That way any VM that uses the Default network
interface will be bridged.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce at gmail.com>
http://mcpierce.fedorapeople.org/