ATA over Ethernet (AoE)

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 16:56:53 UTC 2013

I remember looking at ATA over Ethernet back in 2007 but back then it
relied on vendor-provided drivers....

I read now that AoE has been merged into the Linux kernel starting w
2.6.11 or thereabouts...,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATA_over_Ethernet

My questions are twofold:
1. Of all the drivers for AoE available, anyone here has succesfully
used any with Fedora?

2. Hardware: If AOE was ever popular, it seems interest has decreased
now, as for the life of me I cant seem to find ANY low cost, single
drive SATA to AoE adapter on Amazon.com...

Whackypedia mentions: "In 2007 LayerWalker[15] announced the world's
first single-chip AoE hardware solution called miniSAN[16] running at
both Fast and Gigabit Ethernet grades. The miniSAN product family
offers standard AoE server functions plus other management features
that targets PC, consumer and SMB markets. Data Fabrics Inc. offers
low-cost internal and external GbE AoE enablers as well as desktop and
rackmount AoE SAN appliances. "

Well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LayerWalker 's web site is not
responding to requests, for starters....

I guess what I'm looking for is a single drive SATA to AoE (Gigabit if
possible) "enabler". Ideally it'd also have to cost less than a NAS
with its own OS and CPU.... Is there anything out there?

The web site seems dead...

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell