Howto make Firewalld allow remote SSH into a Virtual Machine?

Patrick Lists fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 25 21:05:13 UTC 2013

On 07/25/2013 10:46 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
[snip]
>> The bridged network works wonders to solve this issue:
>> http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Host_configuration_2
>>
> If you have another IP available, you can bind that to the same NIC and
> use iptables to forward the connection.
>     iptables -p tcp -d 288.41.42.43 --dport ssh -j DNAT 10.40.51.22
>
> or use a non-standard port and send it to the ssh port on the VM. That
> allows running a stock sshd on the VM.
>
> I have a script in my firewall rules, which defines a bash function to
> do all the stuff, then a one liner with parameters to do the setup. You
> can even do some (very) crude load leveling by putting multiple machines
> on the DNAT rule.

Thanks for the solution Bill. These VMs are not exposed to the Big Bad
Internet. I decided to go with a bridge and after a bit of digging it's
working fine now. The VMs all have SELinux in enforcing mode, their
firewalls enabled and ssh access only via public key authentication.

Regards,
Patrick