Do I need avahi?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jul 27 14:06:09 UTC 2013

Am 27.07.2013 15:55, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
> I recently noticed that I have been getting warnings
>   avahi-daemon[5884]: dbus-protocol.c:
>     Too many objects for client ':1.15', client request failed.
> on my server.
> I must admit I didn't know I was running avahi on the server

bad

both, running a not needed daemon as well as open the port in the firewall
you should diable any unused daemon and close *any* incoming port
except for the services you offer

> But my real query is whether avahi (or zeroconf)
> could actually offer me anything useful.
> I'm running dhcpd on the server,
> and I'm not looking for information about printers
> or other users on my home network.

no, you do not need it on a server

the only useful for me is discover netatalk/AFP on the LAN so
the fileserver appears in the finder of Apple-Clients and
even this is not hardly needed because "connect to
server -> afp:/dfdfd/" works well enough