Native Nvidia Optimus and Fedora 19

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Sun Jul 28 13:25:13 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 01:26:47PM +0200, Heinz Diehl wrote:

> On 27.07.2013, valent.turkovic at gmail.com wrote:

> > I'm considering buying a laptop with Nvidia Optimus, and this looks really
> > bad!

> Do yourself a favour and don't buy a laptop with optimus. I have one,
> and to spare you the details: the nvidia gpu is not useable without a
> lot of trouble. I finally removed both bumblebee and the nvidia drivers, and
> recompiled the kernel without nouveau. My machine now runs the
> integrated Intel GPU exclusively.

I myself have considered your radical solution but some people would
like to use the available Nvidia GPU for things the Intel GPU can
not do well enough. And the idea behind Optimus is not bad it's just
that we are Linux users with no decent support (yet?).

> The Intel GPU support is a whole different story. To get a slight
> touch what could happen, search after "Hangcheck timer elapsed". There
> are TONS of reports..

Are you not being a little harsh on the Intel GPU support.
There might be 'TONS' of reports but I myself have experience
with 6 Dell/Lenovo desktops/laptops (3 in house with daily use),
Sandybridge and Ivybridge, and have never experienced 'Hangcheck
timer elapsed'.

AV