Do I need avahi?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Jul 28 18:14:35 UTC 2013

On 07/28/2013 08:03 AM, lee wrote:
> However, when I look at online dictionaries, they say that "disabled"
> refers to people the abilities of which are somehow limited, so that
> word won't be applicable here at all.  Services are not people, and it
> is a bad idea to use misleading terms like this.

In English, words often have more than one meaning, depending on
context.  In a computer context, the word means that something has been
turned off and isn't available for use.  When you use systemctl to
disable a service, you're telling it not to start the service at boot,
although other services can later start it.  If you mask the service,
it's completely unavailable until you reverse the process.