How does one get a clean installation of Fedora?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Sun Jul 28 21:49:42 UTC 2013

Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> writes:

> On 28/07/13 11:07, lee wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> how does one get a clean installation of Fedora?  "Clean" means that
>> only those packages are installed that are actually needed and only
>> those services are running that are actually needed.
>
> You can do a "minimal" install and then install just the applications
> you want. That will draw in the packages that those applications
> requre only. That will leave you with the smallest install possible to
> suit your needs.

There is something wrong with these requirements.  I don't need avahi,
for example, and it's impossible to remove without taking down the whole
system.

> To do a minimal install, when the main anaconda (install) window
> appears, click where it says "Gnome Desktop" and scroll down to find
> "minimal". Note that a minimal install is very minimal. Expect to take
> some time to find the packages you want/need.

A minimal install doesn't have a gui, and I don't need a gnome desktop.
But if I did that, could I have installed what I have now without, for
example, avahi installed?

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)