How does one get a clean installation of Fedora?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Sun Jul 28 21:45:40 UTC 2013

Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> writes:

> lee writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> how does one get a clean installation of Fedora?  "Clean" means that
>> only those packages are installed that are actually needed and only
>> those services are running that are actually needed.
>
> Very easy:
>
> Step 1: figure out what packages and services you need.
> Step 2: install just those packages and services that you need.

Unfortunately, the broken dependencies seem to prevent step 2 ---
otherwise I could simply remove unneeded packages.

> Unfortunately, noone's yet written an app that can telepathetically
> determine what someone needs. Everyone needs different things, so
> there is no one shoe that fits all.

Yes, and I always wondered why the installer doesn't give any choice at
all.

> The different spins are a good start. If you decide that you want
> Gnome or XFCE, installing the appropriate spin would be a good
> start.

Well, I don't need any of these.

> And going forward, you'll just have to figure out what you have
> installed, and don't need, or don't have installed, but you need, and
> make the appropriate adjustments.

That's like step 2 again, prevented by broken dependencies ...

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)