How does one get a clean installation of Fedora?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jul 28 22:31:00 UTC 2013

lee writes:

> Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> writes:
>
> > lee writes:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> how does one get a clean installation of Fedora?  "Clean" means that
> >> only those packages are installed that are actually needed and only
> >> those services are running that are actually needed.
> >
> > Very easy:
> >
> > Step 1: figure out what packages and services you need.
> > Step 2: install just those packages and services that you need.
>
> Unfortunately, the broken dependencies seem to prevent step 2 ---
> otherwise I could simply remove unneeded packages.

Define "broken dependencies".

If what you want requires another package to be installed, you will have to
install it. That's not a "broken dependency". It's a required dependency.

Real broken dependencies are rare, and tend to get fixed easily.

Pretty much every package that gets installed requires glibc. Even though
you may not have any direct need for glibc, it has to be installed, and the
fact that it has to be installed does not mean that it's broken.

So:

1) Figure out the list of packages you need, and which are not installed.
2) yum install [packages]
3) yum will also install any additional required packages.
4) run package-cleanup --leaves
5) examine the output, pick packages that you don't need.
6) yum remove --remove-leaves

Done.