Do I need avahi?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Jul 28 22:42:39 UTC 2013

On 07/28/2013 02:41 PM, lee wrote:
> Yes, so why don't they use 'disable' to disable something rather than
> "masking" it so it isn't started during booting?

I think that the idea is that a service that's enabled is always started
at boot, one that's disabled doesn't get started until it's needed (and
only then) and one that's masked doesn't get started at all.  (In fact,
you can't start it while it's masked, even manually.)

> Do the native English speakers here agree that 'disable' means to turn
> something off so it's not available for use?  If so, I'll make a bug
> report about this.

If nothing else, the meanings of the term are sufficiently ambiguous
that even native English speakers don't find them intuitively obvious.
If you do file a bug report, I'd suggest that it be listed as being UI
related, and that you post a link here so that those of us who feel the
same can add some "me too" comments and maybe give the maintainer more
of a sense of how much of a problem it really is.  Also, you should be
aware that the entry for mask in the man page for systemctl explains
just how thorough it is, because whoever maintains it might feel that
the existing warning is all that's needed.