How does one get a clean installation of Fedora?

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Sun Jul 28 23:14:15 UTC 2013

On 28/07/13 17:49, lee wrote:
> Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> writes:
>
>> On 28/07/13 11:07, lee wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> how does one get a clean installation of Fedora?  "Clean" means that
>>> only those packages are installed that are actually needed and only
>>> those services are running that are actually needed.
>>
>> You can do a "minimal" install and then install just the applications
>> you want. That will draw in the packages that those applications
>> requre only. That will leave you with the smallest install possible to
>> suit your needs.
>
> There is something wrong with these requirements.  I don't need avahi,
> for example, and it's impossible to remove without taking down the whole
> system.

Like Sam said in the other reply; A dependency is not "broken" if the
package actually needs it. If you think a given package is not needed,
gather the reasons for who you think so and file a bug report.

>> To do a minimal install, when the main anaconda (install) window
>> appears, click where it says "Gnome Desktop" and scroll down to find
>> "minimal". Note that a minimal install is very minimal. Expect to take
>> some time to find the packages you want/need.
>
> A minimal install doesn't have a gui, and I don't need a gnome desktop.
> But if I did that, could I have installed what I have now without, for
> example, avahi installed?

You said you wanted a "clean" install. It's up to you to decide what all
you want, GUI or otherwise. I answered your vague question by giving you
an option for the most minimal platform to start with. After that, it's
an exercise for you to decide what else is needed.

--
Digimer
access to education?