Do I need avahi?

David Beveridge bevhost at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 04:25:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> On 07/29/13 11:09, David Beveridge wrote:
>> The mask keyword is not used in any sysctl commands from what I can see.

I should have looked more before typing. Oops.

> Are you confusing sysctl and systemctl?

yes

> From the systemctl man page....
>
>        mask NAME...
>            Mask one or more unit files, as specified on the command line. This
>            will link these units to /dev/null, making it impossible to start
>            them. This is a stronger version of disable, since it prohibits all
>            kinds of activation of the unit, including manual activation. Use
>            this option with care.

So the documentation likes the word prohibit as well.
The problem is that there is also an unmask command and unprohibit is
not a word.
I suppose you could use allow and deny keywords,  but I'm not really
convinced that it would improve the situation at all.
It all comes back to the same thing, regardless of what keywords are
used you should read the manual to be sure what they do.

I still vote to leave it as it is.