The state of blu-ray burning in linux is terrible

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 13:00:11 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 5:14 AM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:42:03 -0500
> Richard Shaw wrote:
>
> > currently copying files into the image file... HOPEFULLY brasero will at
> > least burn the image...
>
> Unlikely in my experience. What works for me is to download
> and built from source the "real" cdrtools:
>
> http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html

Working on that now. I've got it building but it still conflicts with
cdrkit because of its "obsoletes/provides" built into the RPM for the old
version of cdrtools. I'm trying to get where I can uninstall the
conflicting cdrkit RPMs and install the new cdrtools RPMs but they provide
different binaries (with the cdrkit binaries being symbolically linked to
the old cdrtools binaries names). I may give up and just install to
/usr/local if it gets to be too much trouble.

But you'll have a bigger problem if you think you can
> play a movie on a commercial blu-ray player. Thanks
> to the movie industry, most of them refuse to treat
> writable media as anything other than a data disk.

 Yup, I think the biggest problem is lack of UDF 2.5 write support but I'll
worry about that when I get that far.

Richard