Fedora crash

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jul 29 19:47:49 UTC 2013

Martin Skjöldebrand wrote:
> Would you expect a crash in this situation?
>
> I brought my laptop to work for some reason and left it running on battery. I
> also had Banshee running, albeith on low volume. I had to leave my place for a
> bit and when I got back the laptop had gone into hiberantion.
>
> Then when getting home, I booted it and found Banshee playing, and the screen
> all scrambled impossibly to see anything (large sheets of colourful squares).
>
> The only way to get out of this mess was to open a console and enter reboot as
> root. Is it some bad handling in Banshee/KDE/Fedora or something?

I cautiously offer that it might have been the screen saver kicking in, but in
general video doesn't get properly initialized after hibernate. On many machines
it doesn't need to have the video hardware reset, so it doesn't matter, and I'm
told that using a vendor driver may solve the problem. That's information, not
suggestion, treat with care.

One thing which may work, and has worked for me, is to switch to a text mode
console, and instead of logging in or anything, switch back to the graphic
screen. I think this resets the video back to a sane graphic mode, but that's a
guess. Another thing which has worked for me on some laptops is to switch to a
text mode before doing the hibernate. That implies you know you're going to do
it. Sometimes killing and restarting X will fix the issue.

May some of this be useful, these are tricks which have worked for me or
friends, hardware and drivers differ enough for me to help any more.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>