How does one get a clean installation of Fedora?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Jul 30 00:37:47 UTC 2013

lee writes:

> Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> writes:
>
> > lee writes:

> >> Unfortunately, the broken dependencies seem to prevent step 2 ---
> >> otherwise I could simply remove unneeded packages.
> >
> > Define "broken dependencies".
>
> The avahi-daemon is a good example.  It's not needed and cannot be
> removed without taking the system down because too many packages depend
> on it.

I just checked two of my servers, none of them have avahi-daemon installed,
and both of them are running a full-featured desktop – there's over 2000
RPMs installed; so it doesn't look like that package is really needed that
much.

> > If what you want requires another package to be installed, you will
> > have to install it. That's not a "broken dependency". It's a required
> > dependency.
>
> For example, VLC, like many other things, depends on avahi and doesn't
> need the avahi-daemon.  So you end up not only having things installed
> you don't need, you also run software you don't need to run.

Hmm. I just tried "yum install vlc", and it was all set to be installed,
without pulling in the avahi-daemon package.

> > Real broken dependencies are rare, and tend to get fixed easily.
>
> Apparently the dependency problems with the NVIDIA drivers were not
> fixed so easily, if they ever were.

What's an "NVIDIA driver"? I see no such package in Fedora.

Of course, I'm being facetious. I will not expect that any Fedora packager
is going to worry, too much, about external RPMs. It's Nvidia's obligation
to play nice with Fedora, not the other way around.

> For example, what is at-spi-bus-launcher?  It's running for unknown
> reasons and it doesn't have a manpage.  What is it for?  What does it
> do?  Do I need it?

rpm -q -f /usr/libexec/at-spi-bus-launcher tells you what it is. It's part
of Gnome, so it's a fairly core daemon service.

This is really code bloat. The dependencies are not broken. There's a world
of difference between broken dependencies, and code bloat.