The state of blu-ray burning in linux is terrible

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 01:44:19 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 07:50:38 -0500
> Richard Shaw wrote:
>
> > Still ran out of "writable" space on the disc at about 97.7% complete so
> > guess it needs to be a little smaller. If anyone is wondering I'm getting
> > the "count" from:
>
> Blu-rays are exceedingly funky. There is total space, then there is
> "formatted
> space", where there is space reserved for the hardware to try writing
> a new copy of a sector that failed. A lot of writer software turns on
> the formatted mode by default. I went through a lot of this getting my
> isopack software to write to blu-ray, and wrote up some of it here:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/software/isopack/isopack.html
>
> Of course I also had a batch of media that would always fail around
> 97, 98%. The new media I got is working fine.

Well I installed the "real" cdrtools cdrecord and used dconf to change the
plugin priority of cdrecord in brasero but it was still a no go.

Ended up using cdrecord directly and it successfully burned my UDF image
that growisofs failed on. YAY!

I've also got an idea that MIGHT get cdrtools into Fedora but I'm not going
to hold my breath. As a last ditch effort if that doesn't work I'm going to
go ahead and see if I can get it into RPM nonfree. I've been doing a TON of
reading on the subject I understand the license (and personality) issues
but at the end of the day cdrkit is crap and cdrtools works.

cdrecord burned at almost 6X which is the rated speed of the disc while
growisofs only burned at about 2.8X!

Richard