Do I need avahi?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 07:11:40 UTC 2013

On 27 July 2013 23:58, lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> Timothy Murphy <gayleard at alice.it> writes:
>
>> But my real query is whether avahi (or zeroconf)
>> could actually offer me anything useful.
>
> Hmm I disabled it now and will see what happens.  There are 224 packages
> depending on the avahi package --- that's insane for something that
> isn't needed.
>
> Why are there so many packages depending on it?

Yesterday I tried yum remove avahi on a RHEL 6 desktop, it wanted to
remove quite a few packages. This seemed to stem mainly from a
requirement from gnome-vfs, which required avahi-libs capability
provided by avahi due to some files linking avahi libraries. That's
the dependency system working correctly, if another library is linked
then it must be a dependency. On F18 this morning I tried the same
thing, and only nss-mdns and wine-core need to go, removing the
separate avahi-libs package would lead to 409 dependencies being
removed (most through gnome-vfs, but there may be some other paths),
which is a separation of the daemon package from the libraries it
provides and that other things may need to be built against.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk