Do I need avahi?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 30 12:27:15 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-29 at 16:23 +0200, lee wrote:
> f "disable" and "mask" were to be replaced, they should still be
> available for some time along with the new words. That might create
> more confusion than it could do any good.

Could that be any worse?!?

Currently, we have something "disabled" that doesn't do what we expect,
based on prior behaviour, nor what the word means.  You have to wonder
how many people are using it thinking it means something else, both from
the end-users, and those writing software using the system.

And what should be used?  Seeing as we, now, have more modes than
before, perhaps it's time to come up with new, and unambiguous names.
What one-word terms accurately describe the different modes?

  active  (will be running)
  waiting (will be run if needed)
  ignored (will not be run, at all)

Something else?  In the Windows world, that I haven't looked at for some
time, they had enabled, auto, and disabled.  I tend to dislike "auto"
descriptions, as people seem to think that it's magical can can sort out
everything by itself, rather than understanding that it means pick some
choices based on some conditions.

Think of cars with automatic transmission, they don't drive the car like
a robot, it changes gears based on some criteria, for normal road
driving conditions.  Yet, makes some quite poor choices under adverse
conditions.  Sure, it sets up a precedence for it, but it's a bad one.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.