Disable ATI HDMI audio from snd_hda_intel (was Re: Disable PCI devices via systemd)

Raman Gupta rocketraman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 15:15:33 UTC 2013

On 07/30/2013 12:00 AM, poma wrote:
> On 30.07.2013 05:47, Raman Gupta wrote:
>> I cannot blacklist the module, because the "snd_hda_intel" module that
>> drives the Intel sound card on my motherboard also recognizes the ATI
>> cards, according to lspci-v.
>>
>> [...] is there an alternate approach to turn off the HDMI sound cards
>> on the ATI cards?
>>

> $ modinfo radeon | grep audio
> parm:           audio:Audio enable (1 = enable) (int)

Note I use fglrx to drive the video cards -- I should have mentioned
that before. With fglrx, it appears to be the snd_hda_intel module
that is driving the HDMI devices. dmesg shows:

[42595.178256] ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_intel.c:3053 0000:01:00.1:
Handle VGA-switcheroo audio client
[...]
[42595.277831] ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_intel.c:3053 0000:02:00.1:
Handle VGA-switcheroo audio client

And lspci:

# lspci -k | grep -E "Audio" -A 2
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Patsburg High Definition Audio
Controller (rev 05)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 84d8
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
--
01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Device aaa0
        Subsystem: Hightech Information System Ltd. Device aaa0
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
--
02:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Device aaa0
        Subsystem: Hightech Information System Ltd. Device aaa0
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

Unlike "radeon", snd_hda_intel does not appear to have a param to just
disable the VGA-switcheroo stuff without also disabling the audio from
my motherboard.

Any other ideas before I fall back to the hammer of disabling the PCI
device completely?

Regards,
Raman