Do I need avahi?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 16:22:50 UTC 2013

On 30 July 2013 15:18, lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> then it must be a dependency. On F18 this morning I tried the same
>> thing, and only nss-mdns and wine-core need to go, removing the
>> separate avahi-libs package would lead to 409 dependencies being
>> removed
>
> Ah yes, avahi-libs is a separate package!  How would I make it so that
> it doesn't get removed when removing the avahi package?  That should
> leave all the packages installed that need the libraries and not the
> avahi daemon.

How exactly are you trying to remove avahi? Are you passing a wildcard
by any chance? According to your signature you're running F19; I'm not
and can't say for sure the libraries are separated the same way, but
it would be unusal if they'd changed it back somehow.

In RHEL6 avahi-glib (which takes down most of gnome) has a direct
dependency on avahi.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk