The state of blu-ray burning in linux is terrible

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 21:29:45 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup at gmx.net> wrote:

> > # xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0 -list_formats
> > libburn : SORRY : Cannot open busy device '/dev/sr0' : Device or
> resource busy
>
> Some program holds the device file open with flag O_EXCL, which
> has a special meaning on Linux device files. It indicates that
> a drive is mounted and shall not be written directly.
> We burn programmers joined that club. For us it means that it
> shall not be touched at all. (Touching a CD burn can spoil it.)
>
> What do you get from
>   mount | fgrep /dev/sr0
>   lsof | fgrep /dev/sr0

That showed the problem... For some reason optical media mounting and
unmounting have not been reliable for me for several Fedora releases.
Sometimes when I put in a disc, it isn't detected, other times when I
switch disc, the old disc is not properly unmounted, which was the case
here.

Currently I have a blank BD-R disc in the drive but mount was still showing
the previous disc volume label which is why xorriso was failing...

> > udftools will create an image up to 2.01,
>
> Hasn't udftools been superseded by kernel UDF ?

I can't answer that, but when you say "kernel UDF" what exactly do you
mean? I'm pretty sure I'm using the kernel UDF modules for reading and
writing UDF, I'm just using mkudffs from the udftools package to format the
image file.

Thanks,
Richard