yum expected to work in rescue mode on install DVD?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 21:33:48 UTC 2013

After a failed fedup upgrade from F18 to 19 I was left with a broken
system...

No problem, I figured, I would just boot a F19 install DVD and go into
rescue mode and fix things using "yum --installroot=..."

After booting into rescue mode I tried running yum, and the program seems
to be there, but it complained about not being able to import the yummain
module.

Is yum expected to work in rescue mode? I would think so...

I ended up using rpm directly and hunting down the dependencies one at a
time until I had a working yum in the chroot.

Thanks,
Richard