The state of blu-ray burning in linux is terrible

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 01:57:22 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:

> Richard Shaw wrote:
>
>> ... skip spending time getting cdrtools 3.01 to build ...
>>
>>  Don't know what issues you have building, it always built flawlessly for
> me, and installed in /opt/schily/{bin,lib,man,etc}. Add /opt/schily/bin to
> the *FRONT* of PATH, MANPATH, and you are good to go, replaces the stuff
> Fedora includes which makes a lot of it start working better.

I never run "make install" directly. Since I'm a Fedora packager I always
build EVERYTHING in an RPM. So I'm trying to get it to play nice with
cdrkit but it may be more trouble than it's worth.

> I'm still working on getting the kinks out of that... conflicts with
> several
>
>> cdrkit packages (genisoimage, wodim, icedax)
>>
>>  Icedax? Never tried it, too many alternate way to do that.

It provides the cdrkit alternatives to cdda2wav and cdda2ogg and is pulled
in by brasero. I've never used it directly.

> Ok! Last resort, do it the PITA way...
>

>> $ dd if=/dev/zero of=/bdimage.udf bs=2048 count=12219392
>> $ mkudffs bdimage.udf
>> # sudo mount -t udf -o loop bdimage /mnt/disc
>>
>> currently copying files into the image file... HOPEFULLY brasero will at
>> least
>> burn the image...
>>
>>  The loop mount stuff is a good way to go, you can keep an image fresh
> and just burn it when you need a current copy.

Yeah, I don't have a problem doing things from the command line but
sometimes I just want drag-n-drop and click a button :)

Richard