Do I need avahi?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 31 02:08:00 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 30 July 2013, Olav Vitters sent:
> Seems unimportant to discuss the difference between not starting up
> and crashing if you're on about removing avahi and expecting things to
> still work.

I would expect things that actually need avahi to fail, I would expect
other things that don't need it, to just work.

I've certainly not used avahi in previous releases, either disabling it,
or it wasn't there, and my computer ran.  I didn't need, or want its
services.  In fact, I wanted it not to be able to interfere with things.
I don't want a computer running things I don't need, and that can cause
their own set of problems.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.