Do I need avahi?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 03:26:48 UTC 2013

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 11:31:27 +0930
Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 30 July 2013, lee sent:
> > Ah yes, avahi-libs is a separate package!  How would I make it so
> > that it doesn't get removed when removing the avahi package?  That
> > should leave all the packages installed that need the libraries and
> > not the avahi daemon.
>
> Re-install just the library, afterwards?  (That's a question, not an
> answer, because I don't know if you're going to be able to do this.)

If you do "yum remove avahi" it will not remove the library, just the
daemon. And nothing serious depends on the daemon itself.

I could bet that Lee did something like "yum remove avahi*" and then
started complaining about 200 dependencies, since yum wanted to remove
avahi-libs and avahi-glib in addition to the daemon. He didn't provide
any yum output for us to see what he did, but rather continued to
complain endlessly with no evidence at all.

I see no dependency problem here at all, only Lee apparently misusing
wildcards and yum.

There seems to be no point in discussing this any further, smells like
a PEBKAC to me.

HTH, :-)
Marko