The state of blu-ray burning in linux is terrible

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Wed Jul 31 04:59:36 UTC 2013

Hi,

> Currently I have a blank BD-R disc in the drive but mount was still
> showing the previous disc volume label which is why xorriso was
> failing...

I always disliked the habit of growisofs to try unmounting
the drive before it begins to operate. umount is an admin job,
whereas burning is a user job.
But in your case the habit seems to be beneficial.

(I fear the day when me and my burners have to migrate to
 contemporary kernel and udev.)

> when you say "kernel UDF" what exactly do you mean?

mount -t udf ...

> I'm pretty sure I'm using the kernel UDF modules for
> reading and writing UDF

I remember that there once was an UDF generation tool which
worked similar to mkisofs. But in the current descriptions of
udftools there is only mentioned pktsetup and mount.

So probably you are already using the most modern UDF which
Linux can offer. (And probably i am getting too old ...)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas