a different point of view to "etiquette"

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 14:57:37 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 09:23:48AM +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 07/31/2013 12:59 AM, jdow wrote:
> > Andrew, one thing a woman needs to develop to survive in the technical
> > fields is an incredibly thick skin.
>
> I know, and that's what needs to change or many of the best brains
> will continue to move to jobs where a noisy minority can't get away
> with being complete arseholes.  (It's not just women who are abused,
> of course.)

Indeed!  It is not just abuse, being civil is absolutely necessary for
newcomers to feel welcome, ask questions (at times, possibly stupid
ones), and in time contribute back.

I started using *nix systems rather recently compared to many of the old
timers here.  Over the years I became interested in quite a few FOSS
projects, but surprise surprise, I have contributed actual code to only
one: Org mode, a major mode for Emacs.  Why?  I attribute this to the
friendliest and most welcoming developer community I have come across.

My 2ยข,

--
Suvayu