howto do test update

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Jul 31 19:30:33 UTC 2013

Neal Becker wrote:
> I see emacs has been updated to 24.3.  I'm pretty sure I don't want it.  I have
> built/installed 24.3 earlier, and found some problems.  Specifically, tramp
> doesn't seem to work (hangs), and I need it.
>
> Any thoughts on how I might be able to do a yum update, and then backout if I
> don't like it?
>
> I know yum has history rollback - but that would depend on being able to find
> the earlier 24.2 rpms.  Which are probably gone.  Which I find rather annoying.

Then why didn't you save them? If you set the keepcache flag in yum.conf it will
save RPMs in /var/cache/yum for future use. I put just the update RPMs in a
local repository, so I only download any package once. I can put the repository
on a DVD and upgrade from it if I want, after installing a new machine with no
(or slow) net access.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>