Gnome desktop issues

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jun 2 15:39:46 UTC 2013

Am 02.06.2013 16:11, schrieb Ranjan Maitra:
> On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 13:12:36 +0100 Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2 June 2013 11:20, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>>> Allegedly, on or about 01 June 2013, Anthony sent:
>>
>> (Incidentally there is a "yum reinstall" which is preferable to a
>> separate uninstall and install if you do need to do this, though I
>> don't think it works for package groups - need to know what the actual
>> problem is.)
>
> As a slight aside, one thing about "yum reinstall" that I find strange
> is that it does not reinstall the dependencies (unless there needs to be
> some other flag to make that happen).
>
> when we do have dependencies (libRmath-devel) also installed. In my
> view both should be reinstalled

why and *which* dependencies?
 * the direct one
 * the implicit
 * both
 * the whole OS
 * cross dependencies

there are very few good reasons for reinstall a RPM
hence if you cluttered your whole installation "yum reinstall \*"

in this topic reinstall makes zero sense at all
RPM packages never touch files inside your userhome like settings