man chmod (2) How?

Fred Erickson fredferickson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 17:55:57 UTC 2013

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 16:36:07 +0100
Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tuesday 04 June 2013 16:28:14 Frank Murphy wrote:
> > Trying to learn some of this "man" pages
> >
> > How do you of experience use "man chmod (2)"
> > keeps coming up as chmod1
> >

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Frank - I check for new mail app. 20min
> > www.frankly3d.com
>
> man 2 chmod

The man 2 chmod command doesn't seem to work on my system:
[fred at athbox-f18 ~]$ uname -r
3.9.4-200.fc18.x86_64
[fred at athbox-f18 ~]$ man 2 chmod
No manual entry for chmod in section 2

but, this info at the end of the regular 'man chmod' man page does:

SEE ALSO
       chmod(2)

       The full documentation for chmod is maintained as a Texinfo
       manual.  If the  info  and  chmod programs are properly
       installed at your site, the command

              info coreutils 'chmod invocation'

       should give you access to the complete manual.

GNU coreutils 8.17               January 2013
CHMOD(1) Manual page chmod(1) line 124/148 (END) (press h for help or q
to quit)