Install F18 using LVM on RAID

Gerhard Gappmeier gerhard.gappmeier at ascolab.com
Thu Jun 6 08:30:41 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm trying to get F18 installed on a server (x86_64). The setup is quiet easy
and typical for a server:

Partitions:
sda1: primary partition, 512M
sda2: primary partition, rest of the disk
sdb1: primary partition, 512M
sdb2: primary partition, rest of the disk

SOFT RAID:
/dev/md0: raid1, consists of sda1 and sdb1
/dev/md1: raid1, consists of sda2 and sdb2

md0: formatted with ext2, mounted as /boot
md1: LVM physical device.

LVM:
LVM VG: "vg" using md1
LVM LV: "root", formatted as ext4, mounted as /
LVM LV: "var", formatted as ext4, mounted as /var (this is for libvirt disk
images)
LVM LV: "swap", swap partition

Grub installed in both MBRs of sda and sdb, to allow  booting from both disks.

Unfortunately the installer does not allow to create this kind of partition
layout. With F17 this was possible.

What I've already tried:

1.) creating the layout manually using fdisk, mdadm and lvm tools. Selecting
only the mountpoint in installer: This does not work. The installer does not
correctly recognize the layout. I was not able to select the mountpoints.

2.) Installing F17 and upgrade using fedup. This fails. Seems like fedup is
not able to handle this layout.

3.) Kickstart: It looks like this is most likely the way to get it working.
But I was not able to write a working kickstart script. The online doc is not
enough for that. I found same kickstart examples using Google, but these
didn't work either.

Maybe somebody can assists me with that or has a better idea how to install
that system.

regards,
Gerhard.