No HDMI audio with nvidia driver?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 21:05:15 UTC 2013

As part of a temporary experiment, I put an Nvidia card in
my system:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

The gnome-control-center sound panel seems to believe that
it can output audio to the HDMI output, but nothing comes
out on a sound test.

If I install the binary nvidia driver from rpmfusion, I
do get HDMI audio, so I'm guessing the nvidia driver
just can't do audio yet?

Another weird thing is that aplay -L lists the built in
intel audio S/PDIF:

iec958:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

But gnome-control-center no longer sees it as an output
option, so I can't get audio by going through my receiver
either.

Any of this sound familiar? (I'll be taking the nvidia
card out soon, so I'm not really looking to try and fix
any of this, but I thought I'd mention the weirdnesses :-).