No HDMI audio with nvidia driver?

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 03:17:13 UTC 2013

On 09.06.2013 23:05, Tom Horsley wrote:
> As part of a temporary experiment, I put an Nvidia card in
> my system:
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
> 01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
>
> The gnome-control-center sound panel seems to believe that
> it can output audio to the HDMI output, but nothing comes
> out on a sound test.

$ pactl list sinks | grep 'Sink\|Mute'
Sink #0
	Mute: yes

$ pactl set-sink-mute 0 0

$ pactl list sinks | grep 'Sink\|Mute'
Sink #0
	Mute: no

man 1 pactl

> If I install the binary nvidia driver from rpmfusion, I
> do get HDMI audio, so I'm guessing the nvidia driver
> just can't do audio yet?

Well then, does it work or not!? :)
It seems that you are mixing up Nvidia blob and Nouveau, in a way the
second one wasn't mentioned, at all. Gee!
And you know, they are both binary for use. :)
Besides HDMI audio with the assistance of the 'nouveau.ko' *do* work.

poma