F18 *vs.* yum update?? -- UPDATE

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jun 8 20:17:56 UTC 2013

Am 08.06.2013 22:03, schrieb Beartooth:
> On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 12:37:50 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
>
>> Two things: first, when you do your fresh install, put /home onto its
>> own partition.  That way, there's less chance that you'll need that
>> backup after your next upgrade or clean install.  (Please note that even
>> though I do that, I never upgrade or install without a backup, Just In
>> Case.)
>
> Standard advice, doubtless as good as it is standard; but I've
> yet to understand how to do it, alas!

man fstab

* simply create a prtition
* mount it at /home
* you are done

if a existing /home is there, well, mount the new partition
to whatever, move all contents of /home after logout from
the graphical desktop there

unount the temporary mount of the new partition an dmount
it to the now empty /home, this is really easy to do