update from 17 to 18 failed

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Wed Jun 12 06:46:45 UTC 2013

BTW, for some reason I don't seem to get your posts from the list.  It
could be some sort of dupe checking gnus does on my side, but I thought
I should mention it just in case.

Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> writes:

> Am 12.06.2013 00:41, schrieb lee:
>> For example, I know for sure that I never needed or wanted the package
>> "xorg-x11-drv-mga-1.6.2-6.fc18.x86_64", yet it is listed by
>> "package-cleanup --leaves --all".  Why is this package installed, and
>> since I didn't install it, why does it remain installed?
>
> because it was in some defualt group or installed by whatever dependency

Yes, I'd think so --- and now this dependency doesn't exist anymore, or
the group doesn't pull it in anymore.  Therefore, the package management
should have removed it since I didn't tell it to install it.

> "package-cleanup --leaves --all" ha sto be used with care
> it lists practically all was it not neede for the base-system
> but it is a good indicator what coul be theoretically removed
> and on my systems there is no single unused package which makes
> upgrades much faster and last but not least update conflicts
> a thing i hadrly see over years

I think I'll make that perl script to go through these packages and
remove those I don't need.  Apparently they don't hurt anything, but
it's better not to have packages installed that aren't needed.

--
"Object-oriented programming languages aren't completely convinced that
you should be allowed to do anything with functions."