Ask detail operate process about edit sudoers file by terminal

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jun 15 04:39:06 UTC 2013

Doug:
> In my sudoers, that line

... which is this line:    %wheel ALL=(ALL)  ALL

> is commented out, and should be. You don't want everybody and his
> brother to have sudo privileges.

It doesn't need to be.  Because no users are in the wheel group unless
you customise things when setting up the user accounts.  And anyone who
was capable of putting themselves in the wheel group, would be just as
able to edit the sudoers file.

This is an alternative way of doing the same thing:

> What you need to do is insert the _following_ line, that looks like
> (in my case)
>
> doug     ALL=(ALL) ALL
>
> put your user-name in where mine is.

... of giving specific users special privileges via a different route.

The method of adding specific users into the sudoers file is that you
can add them without *ALL* privileges, so that they can have *some*
special abilities more than an ordinary user, but will be restricted
from doing other things.  In essence, you're whitelisting the commands
that they will be allowed to use.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.8.13-100.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon May 13 13:36:17 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.