Split memdisk out of syslinux package?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jun 15 19:32:00 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 03:16:25PM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> However, to get that /syslinux/memdisk boot image,
> I had to download the syslinux rpm and use rpm2cpio
> to extract it - all the info I could find in the
> fedora docs seem to indicate that actually installing
> the syslinux rpm will result in getting switched to
> the syslinux boot loader.

I don't think that's the case.

Specifically, the bootloader will be updated when the syslinux-extlinux RPM
is installed if and only if /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf or
/boot/extlinux.conf exist, which they won't unless you've created them.
The _base_ syslinux package has no such logic at all.

On the other hand, switching to extlinux as your bootloader isn't a bad
idea.

On the other, other hand, I'm all for better subpackaging in the syslinux
RPM. It just has never been a priority before.