mcelog.service

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Mon Jun 17 02:52:21 UTC 2013

Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> writes:

> Am 17.06.2013 04:09, schrieb lee:
>> Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> writes:

>>> Are you saying that you have the only computer in the world with that
>>> hardware?  If so, you have only yourself to blame; if not, you're only
>>> looking for excuses.
>>
>> Just think it through and then explain to me how it would make sense to
>> dedicate (a part of the limited) resources to have mcelog constantly
>> running
>
> *you* started this thread with "is the mcelog.service of any use to me?"
>
> people explained you why it *could* be useable

No, they explained what it is supposed to do and made invalid
assumptions.  Their point seems to be that it could be useful for
instances when the logged output of mcelog helps you to figure out what
might be wrong with your hardware.  I agree with that, yet my points
that I'm better off fixing the hardware right away rather than going to
the lengths that I'd have to go to to figure out what the logged output
is in case the hardware is too badly broken to obtain the logged output
and that, in case the hardware isn't broken that badly, I might still be
able to run mcelog to get useful output, remain.

> why do you ask if you are knowing it better?
> so disable it and stop trolling

If I did, I wouldn't have asked.  Where's your argument here?  Are you
trying to say that when I'm left with badly broken hardware, I'd be
better off going to lengths to retrieve logfiles --- which might tell me
nothing --- rather than fixing the hardware right away so there would be
a reason to keep mcelog running?  If so, why or how would that be?

> is it really that hard?

I don't know what your problem is.

> P.S.: and do not forget to disable a couple of other services
> which are not hardly needed and enabled by default

I've done that with a few.  Do you have any in particular in mind?  I
probably didn't find all the things I might not need.

--
"Object-oriented programming languages aren't completely convinced that
you should be allowed to do anything with functions."