Small home web server

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Tue Jun 18 03:50:54 UTC 2013

I am looking into building or acquiring a small fairly silent low power
web server for my home office.
Reason is that I need to develop and run a small number of Ruby2 Rails 4
applications. These will have low traffic around 200 hits per day
possibly up to 500  hits over 24 hours in heavy load times, but most of
the time we expect 20-40 per day.
It will be turned off at 10:30 pm and restarted about 8-9 am.

It will be Centos or Fedora OS, Ubuntu has been recommended but I prefer
Fedora.
I have  a TG782t modem.

Have looked into shared servers, VPS, Heroku and each has more problems
than enough.
Shared servers won't host Rails.
VPS is way too expensive for the small requirements
High security is not needed, if it got hacked I'd just reinstall
everything. But I do need my developer pc isolated against any attacks
Heroku  uses only postgres I would rather mariaDB, sqlite or mysql.
Apparently postgres doesn't handle images too well but I have no
knowledge on that.

What would you recommend please.
Help greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance