ping -R on Fedora 18 d does not work (firewalld problem?)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 18 04:40:16 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 17 June 2013, Kevin Wilson sent:
> Hello,
> I try:
>  ping -R www.google.com
>
> I get:
> PING www.google.com (173.194.113.112) 56(124) bytes of data.
>

> but the list of nodes does not appear, and I wait for more than 5 minutes.

Things do not *have* to respond to pings, so a ping can only test how it
responds to pings, rather than be a definitive test of being able to
reach something.

When you're accessible to the world, and every byte costs you money, you
may decide to disable all but the essential traffic.

> traceroute www.google.com gives immediately the list of nodes.

I seem to recall traceroute does, or can, use a different protocol.
Read the manuals.

> Could it be somehow due to not flushing firewalld rules ? (I don't
> know much about firewalld)

Unless you've made special rules, Fedora tends to allow this sort of
traffic.

I get a different IP responding to www.google.com, there are some

[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.8.13-100.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon May 13 13:36:17 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.