mcelog.service

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Jun 18 04:44:59 UTC 2013

On 06/17/2013 07:41 PM, lee wrote:
> Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> writes:
>
>> As long as the drive itself is working, there's a way to recover the
>> data, although there may well not be an easy or fast way.
>
> Imagine the power supply would fail so that I can't read logfiles
> anymore.
>
> What do I do?  Fix the hardware right away or waste a week or two trying
> to find a way to read logfiles because mcelog /might/ have logged
> something?

Nothing more than a strawman.  If the power supply's failed completely,
you don't need the logs; if it's slowly going bad, the logs might help
you diagnose the issue and replace the supply before it's completely
gone.  And, if the computer's dead, the power supply isn't the only
possibility and there are times that it's better (and cheaper) to spend
a little time grovelling over the logs instead of swapping parts until
it works again.