Small home web server

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Tue Jun 18 07:15:22 UTC 2013

On 06/18/2013 03:46 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-06-18 at 13:50 +1000, Roger wrote:
>> I am looking into building or acquiring a small fairly silent low power
>> web server for my home office.
>> Reason is that I need to develop and run a small number of Ruby2 Rails 4
>> applications. These will have low traffic around 200 hits per day
>> possibly up to 500  hits over 24 hours in heavy load times, but most of
>> the time we expect 20-40 per day.
>> It will be turned off at 10:30 pm and restarted about 8-9 am.
>>
>> It will be Centos or Fedora OS, Ubuntu has been recommended but I prefer
>> Fedora.
>> I have  a TG782t modem.
>>
>> Have looked into shared servers, VPS, Heroku and each has more problems
>> than enough.
>> Shared servers won't host Rails.
>> VPS is way too expensive for the small requirements
>> High security is not needed, if it got hacked I'd just reinstall
>> everything. But I do need my developer pc isolated against any attacks
>> Heroku  uses only postgres I would rather mariaDB, sqlite or mysql.
>> Apparently postgres doesn't handle images too well but I have no
>> knowledge on that.
>>
>> What would you recommend please.
> ----
> Heroku
> free for your purposes and fully supports RoR
>
> PostgreSQL is in my opinion, much more reliable than MySQL/MariaDB.
>
> In essence, RoR abstracts the database functionality so you could
> relatively easily swap between different database servers or even do
> development on MySQL and deployment on Postgres.
>
> Pictures should not be in the database in any event. You might want to
> check into something like Amazon S3 for storing pictures.
>
> Craig

Thanks Craig
I have it on heroku for dev/test.
Not sure about it being free, it seems that Heroku provides a number of
free hours  which when exhausted start costing and those costs seem to
get to hundreds of Dollars a year, even up to a thousand Dollars a year
by their calculator, unless I'm not understanding their pricing structure.
After the hours are exhausted, does Heroku still charge for in and out
when developing?
I couldn't find anything in the charges/costs to explain.
Roger