pulseaudio multiple outputs?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 13:56:30 UTC 2013

My new motherboard seems to have a audio system that
is friendlier to alsa and pulseaudio. For the first
time ever I see both HDMI and S/PDIF listed as
possible outputs when I run "gnome-control-center sound".
They even both work when I test the speakers.

Since I no longer seem to need low-level kludgery
to get S/PDIF output, I'm now wondering if it is
possible for different apps to output to different
outputs using pulseaudio?

Can I have my normal system beeps and wot-not
going to HDMI, but tell mplayer to output to
the S/PDIF output? If so, anyone have any
examples of the syntax I need to use on the
mplayer command line?