Messed up Grub!

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jun 24 20:35:32 UTC 2013

Hello All,

I can't update my Fedora 17 box until sometime in July due to issues I
won't bore you with.

In the meantime I have another problem. Some time ago I had a crash
during a yum update, the net result of which was the fact that the
kernel it was installing at the time became corrupted (amongst other
problems). I can boot into the previous kernel and everything works
fine, except when I reboot. Naturally it wants to boot into the "latest"
kernel.

I have set the grub timeout to 5 seconds so I can select the older
kernel and all is well.

However, I thought I would be clever and set it to automatically boot to
the second kernel, so I edited /etc/default/grub and changed
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved to GRUB_DEFAULT=1.

I then ran grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and rebooted. Now I
appear to have lost my earlier kernel options and it boots into the
corrupted version.

[edit] No wait - It seems I have to go into "advanced" options from grub
where I can pick the older kernel [/edit]

What did I do wrong - and how do I get it to default to my working
kernel?

Thanks

Mark

cat /etc/default/grub
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Fedora"
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
#GRUB_DEFAULT=2
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0 SYSFONT=True  KEYTABLE=uk
rd.luks=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rhgb quiet"
#GRUB_THEME="/boot/grub2/themes/system/theme.txt"