Upgrading to 19 by fedup: bad and good news

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at alice.it
Sat Jun 29 16:19:51 UTC 2013

Fred Smith ha scritto / said the following    il giorno/on 29/06/2013 17:59:
> On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 04:52:16PM +0200, antonio wrote:
>> antonio montagnani ha scritto / said the following    il giorno/on
>> 29/06/2013 15:39:
>>> antonio montagnani ha scritto / said the following    il giorno/on
>>> 29/06/2013 15:17:

>>> more info:
>>>
>>> I have two users, when I issue startx with user A (that is coming from
>>> F18) I get the message oh no something went wrong, while a fresh user B
>>> can issue startx flawlessy.
>>>
>>> Also root can startx with no problem
>>>
>> when the screensaver starts I get authorization failed, i.e. I have
>> to hard reset the machine!!!
>
> Antonio:
>
> Right up front I'll say I have no idea about the various problems you
> report (apparently) from having used fedup.
>
> However, this last one, you almost certainly DO NOT need to reset the
> machine. If I read you right, it's stuck in the screensaver, you can't
> authenticate to get back to your login.
>
> If that's right, you can do one of at least  a couple different things:
> 1. try CTRL-ALT-BKSP, which should kill your X session and return it to
>     a login. Note that this only happens if that response to CTRL-ALT-BKSP
>     hasn't been disabled by default.
> 2. switch to another VT, log in, kill the X session that's stuck.
> 3. probably a dozen other choices that don't come to mind right now.
>
> In my F19 system, CTRL-ALT-BKSP seems to be disabled by default. you
> can enable it in the gnome tweak tool. click "typing" and in the resulting
> list select "Key sequence to kill the X server", set it to
> "Control + Alt + Backspace. then the next time you have this kind of
> fail, just do the 3-finger-salute and voila.
>
> Fred

tnx for the reply.

I have decided to reinstall F18 from the net. The machine is connected
to the home printer and scanner so it cannot stay out-of-service for a
long time.

I have the doubt that at this stage of release, my fedup-cli 19 network
command may have got the wrong packages, (for example no F19 kernel,
that is quite surprising)

--
Antonio M
Skype: amontag52

Linux Fedora F18(Spherical Cow) on Acer 5720

http://lugsaronno.altervista.org
http://www.campingmonterosa.com