retrofitting LUKS encryption on installed system

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Jun 29 22:25:59 UTC 2013

Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 29.06.2013 23:38, schrieb Bill Davidsen:
>> Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> "model name: QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.0.1"
>>> what the hell - on VMware you have the same CPU as the host and only "VMware EVC"
>>> is filtering CPU capabilities to provide relieable hot-migration between hosts
>>> by make only the flags of the oldest CPU in the cluster visible to guests
>> That's why we use KVM, migrations may not be within a cluster. Or be real time "migrations" as you are thinking of
>> it, but rather may involve being backed up until the next time there is a support need for the machine. Different
>> environment, different goals
> the goal of virtualization in production is live-migartion and failover
> this way you hve zero downtime at host-upgrades / reboots

I see the problem, you have mistaken YOUR goal for THE goal.

OUR goal is to be able to bring up some set of test machines for a short time,
and 100% uptime isn't an issue.  Being able to bring up machines on whatever
hardware is currently in burn-in, or sitting around, IS a goal, it saves us from
having to keep a machine around just for that purpose. As long as there is such
a machine, we have satisfied our hardware requirements, so we don't need a hot
backup or the admin issues a cluster incurs.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
   "'Nothing to hide' does not imply 'nothing to fear'"