Procedure for changing ethernet controllers

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Jun 30 04:45:08 UTC 2013

On 06/29/2013 08:45 PM, Digimer wrote:
> You need to get the MAC address for the new card and replace the old
> card's MAC address value in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<dev>.
> Specifically, edit the 'HWADDR="..."' line.

Recently, my onboard NIC failed.  Before installing the new NIC, I
edited that file and removed the HWADDR= line.  When I brought the
system up with the new card, it found, installed and configured the card
without any intervention and It Just Worked.  In fact there's no such
line in the file, even now.  (I just checked.)  YMMV, of course, but I'd
suggest trying this first, as it's the easiest way.