F18 grub hang with blinking cursor after kernel update [SOLVED]

Mike Zingale zingale at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 17:18:46 UTC 2013

Turns out that if you update the kernel with an external USB disk plugged
in, grub gets hosed.  When I originally did the system yum update I had a
disk plugged in, that broke it the first time.  I still had that external
disk plugged in for each attempt at rescue/grub2 reinstall.  Finally it
dawned on me to try it without the external disk, and booting from the
install cd, rescue mode, and reinstalling grub fixed it all.

Weird bug.